Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Back Nine

Those that know me know
that this doesn't really have as much to do with golf
as it does with this day!  :-)

The Back Nine

As I approach the tee, the back nine lies ahead...
I ponder what I played before & how I got to where I'm led
I survey the hole before me; the slope, the trees, the traps
Do I play the dogleg or the straightaway perhaps
Scrub up my little golf ball, grab a tee from in my bag
Wondering if their quality is worth the cost of all the swag
I take a couple practice swings before stepping up to drive
Breathing in fresh-cut-grass air. Thrilled to simply be alive
Believe me when I tell you; I've sliced more than my fair share
But practice makes you better. Perfection's nothing I would dare
I've survived on mulligans; taken countless 2-point penalties
Even kicked my ball from in the rough and hoped nobody sees
My goal is always par, although a birdie would be grand
Bogey's must be minimal. Course strategy must be planned
I've lost several integral caddies. Those that guided me thru the game
The journey remains consistent, but playing's not the same
I've learned to really appreciate the stunning beauty of the course
In awe of rolling fairways and respectful of its source
Steering clear of bunkers, trying not to lose my balls
Enjoying each hole's diversity as before me each one sprawls
I may not be on the PGA, but I'll swing away in bliss
Grateful for the back nine and the holes that've led to this
And when I reach that 19th hole, thirsty for what comes beyond
I hope the legacy of love of game is what's left when I am gone
Please respect the course you play on, replace divots, fix the sod
The beauty's not found in a hole in one, but in walking this course with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment