Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A Better Me

Had a smidge of this written prior to vacation.
(The title and first line - LOL).
It was finished up one early morning -
with a quiet house full of folks I love the most.


A Better Me
by Lyn Marinello

Expectations run amok on my appearance and my job
How I should always far exceed the average John or Joe or Bob

Isolated by my mirror and the frame of societal hope
The box I'm supposed to fit in is terribly minute in scope

But those boxes now have morphed; not sure toward positivity
The whole world's like a living part of Escher's Relativity

Up is down and down is up; back & forth and forth & back
Good is bad and evil wins. This whole joint is out of whack

I may not agree with everything, but here's the good news, friends
The difference in our opinions needs exactly no amends

When I awake each morning, I greet the sky with gratitude
The chaos that surrounds me will not change my attitude

I'll do the things my Momma taught me: be honest, frank and kind
Pushed beyond my limits, I will always speak my mind

I'll lend a hand when able. Always give 100 percent
Stand with those that are struggling, guide them through their discontent

I will not be defined by tomorrow's bourgeoisie
I will simply try with all I am to be a better me

No comments:

Post a Comment