Saturday, July 8, 2023

Growing Old

As promised,
the words came and I am sharing.
Please let me know whatcha think ...


Growing Old
by Lyn Marinello

It very well may have started;
    the seed of my self-loathing,
with the lack of old abilities,
    and the tightening of my clothing,
the graying of my unkempt hair,
    darkening spots upon my skin,
that fact that when I stand too fast
    my head begins to spin.
Parts have started sagging,
    despite attempts to fend that off,
and every single morning,
    there's a nagging, nasty cough.
Occasionally there is creaking
    in appendages of mine,
and I find no denigration
    that, sometimes, lunch is wine.
Running seems excessive
    and 10:00 pm seems crazy late;
comfort's a priority,
    is that pie that's on my plate?
I purposefully enter a room
    to complete some mundane task
and stand in sheer bewilderment ...
    "Why'd I come in here?" I will ask.
I know lyrics from the 80's
    and my childhood home address,
I can't remember yesterday,
    but, humbly, I digress ...
Just when I begin to think
    I can accept my mounting flaws,
another blessing's tossed in my lap ...
    the joys of menopause.
I can't see like I used to
    and my hearing's not too keen
I'm cold one minute, hot the next;
    rarely anything in between.
Heaven, however, gets closer.
    I'm treated with an occasional glimpse.
Enjoy your youth and faculties,
    'cause ... growing old ... it ain't for wimps!

No comments:

Post a Comment