Thursday, November 16, 2023

What's In A Name?

Mr. Shakespeare surely left us thinking, didn't he?

Let's take a moment here ...
and I'd absolutely love to get some feedback
on your name or your children's names ...

My mom thought she made up my name,
but I was basically named after a grandmother.
My brothers, say the rumor mill, 
were all named after old boyfriends or crushes.
We chose our kids' names very specifically.
Deanna Sarene was in total hope
in that it means "beautiful calm".
She's a Taurus and takes after her grandmother,
so the calm is a rarity, but she is beautiful beyond measure.
Miles Vinson is a nod to his Greek and Italian heritage
and directly correlates to his father's name ~
"merciful son of the conqueror".

People name their children for many reasons ...
familial lines, strong historical figures, gods and goddesses,
religious names, powerful names and peaceful names.
I've got friends who chose names tied to nature.
I've got friends who did alliterative naming.
I've got friends who chose names in opposition to familial names.
I've got friends who chose 'old soul' names.
I've got friends who did alphabetical names.

Naming a human is an incredibly personal and purposeful journey;
and that journey belongs to the parents alone.
For those that wish to judge ... have a few of your own and have at it.
For those that disapprove ... your approval is not needed.
In life, we are faced with a great many choices ...
how about we support one another and whomever they raise ...

My name?  Lynette Carol ...
Tiny, free, strong, happiness-singing idol

No comments:

Post a Comment