Monday, November 3, 2014

Sweet Dreams

Today, we say our final farewells to my brother, Skip.
As much as my heart hurts, I have tried to give you a little insight
into what we shared and, in doing so . . . I found smiles.
You may not understand it all, but enjoy it.


Sweet Dreams


Any memory of Skippy brings a smile to my face
And therein lies his legacy; what he left strewn about the place
My little baby brother, who towered high above
Left a trail of laughter through a garden of his love
My earliest recollections begin with Pop-Pop & Nana-Tip
Climbing atop the factory, sharing a NY skyline with Skip
And travelling there was interesting; 9 people and a dog without fidge
And always singing that stupid song, "George Washington Washington Bridge"
Trestle treks in Rosendale, woodsy hikes and quiet rests
Stealing change from everywhere for Saturday night parent-free candy fests
Lazy days grouped on the porch where Skip endured a few Shepherd bites
Saturday morning wrestling; tag team siblings and sometimes title fights
Countless Halloweens and Christmases galore
I cry because he's missing now, I'll go remember more
Secret silly handshakes; Abbott and Costello
Secret presents in my car from a most amazing fellow
Ferris Beuller's Day Off; no guard rail's safe from Crash
Mr. Compost gardening guy, "I'll recycle all the trash."
Monty Python's Life of Brian. Comedy bold and blunt
Was in the People's Front of Judea or the Judean People's Front?
Small raffia attachments; the Roman soldiers "We found this spoon."
"Piss off. I'm not the Messiah." Just whistle a happy tune.
History of the World; Hump or Death with Madeline Kahn
Wacky weedus; double time harch; the jig is up . . . and gone
Christmas movies for my babies; donations from knee deep in sand
Wherever anyone needed help, there was Skippy's eager hand
A veteran with character. A man with a heart of gold
Your absence is unbearable - you were denied of growing old
And though my heart does ache; there's a hole Skip used to fill
I know he's gone in the physical sense, but I'm certain he dwells there still
Skip just wanted laughter and the company of others
He reveled in his family's love; his small army of sisters and brothers
His wit was quite unparalleled, He sure did like to rib
And faced with positive or negative, his response was always "Hib!"
My final text with him is treasured; cemented in my heart it seems
Your words to me now echoed back, I love you Skip ~ "Sweet Dreams!"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Can definitely see Skip is an intrinsic part of the amazing person you are and are becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! He always had an impact on everyone he touched. I will try to always carry a little Skippy with me! <3

    ReplyDelete