Saturday, June 17, 2017

Daddio

Daddio, Pop, Alfred, "Phil", Sal, Victor ~ I've had my choice of picks.

In thinking about things, my grandfather ~ Daddio ~ was my first male role model.
He made impression enough that he gave me away at my wedding instead of Pop or Alfred.
Daddio instilled boxing skills and 'jerkin' around'.

Pop - my biological dad - initially failed as a dad, but more than made up for it
in my later years. He was more of a pal than a dad; and that was fine by me.

Alfred brought me my love of golf and
two of the best step-brothers this world could offer.

"Phil" was the one who finally treated my mother the way she deserved.
God bless him for that.

Sal ~ my father-in-law ~ perfection in a tiny frame. Treated me like family always.
Such a sad shame he left us far too soon.
I would have loved to have spent more time with him.

Victor ~ not my father ~ but no one I'd rather to father my children.
I hope they know how lucky they are; how blessed;
how strong and communicative ~ because of their dad;
how vibrant and tenacious ~ because of their dad;
how bold and beautiful ~ because of their dad;
how playful and silly ~ because of their dad.

My point?
Whether by blood or not, you can choose to take with you
the positives of anyone in your life.
Father's play an integral role.
God bless the father folk in my life.
Enjoy the ones in yours ~ in whatever package they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment