Friday, January 5, 2018

Call Me Silly

For a very long time,
perhaps influenced by my Mom and Grandmother,
I have made it a habit to open my mouth.
If I see something that isn't right, I will speak up.
If I see a situation that is strained, I will speak up.
If I see that someone's in need, I will speak up.
If I find a wrong doing, I will speak up.

It has gotten me in big trouble.
I almost lost a dear boyfriend at the time.
I had to remove myself from a beloved group.
Co-workers didn't speak to me for months.
I got 'fired' from a volunteer position.
I was unfriended by more than one person.

And, call me silly,
but I'd do every single instance over again.

Nothing will ever change if you don't open your pie hole.
Nothing will magically improve because you're sad.
Nothing will instantly change
because you've crossed your arms and blinked.

You don't have to scream.
You don't have to cause a scene.
Speak.
Open up the dialogue.
Begin the ripple of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment