Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Here

So while on a drive with hubby a few weekends ago,
in a little, obscure area ...
in a relatively unmarked graveyard ...
I happened to see a very sad sight.
Perhaps it struck me deeper because hubby just lost a dear friend.
But ...
 I saw a person, wrapped in a shawl or blanket of some sort,
sitting in a simple folding chair beside a headstone.
The loneliness of it all just was very sad and also sobering.
Most of what follows came pouring out and
I initially typed it into my phone for safe keeping.
The rest came this morning so I thought I'd share.

Please let me know what you think ...


Here
by Lyn Marinello

Don't bury me in a cemetery
amongst emblazoned stone
I'd hate to have you visit me
and still be all alone
Don't show up dressed in black
Don't mourn, but celebrate
Don't send flowers that will wither
Share stories; commemorate
Spread some ashes in the water
so we can chat while you fish and swim
Spread a little in the mountains
on a wooded trail or rocky rim
Bring me to your favorite place
Scatter me there as well
Come converse about your woes
or simply sit with me a spell
Help me fertilize a flower bed
to bring the hope of butterflies
or the roots of a magnolia tree
where you can rest beneath its size
When my earthly transport falters
When it sputters, stops and stalls
Do not weep because I'm leaving
rejoice that I was even here at all

2 comments: