Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Human Being

When one is awakened at 4:54 am with words in their head,
one gets up and writes them down . . .


A Human Being
~ by Lyn Marinello

I am not a chess piece to culminate a win
I'm so much more than simply just the color of my skin
I am not the product of your whims as I should be
I am blood and sweat and tears and more. I am trying to be me
I do not exist as a sum of given parts
I am what I cultivate with a passionately beating heart
My quality of life is not based on generations past
It's formed by my tenacity to create a legacy that will last
I am not contained by the vowels in my name
Nor am I defined by the place from which my family came
I cannot be packaged into a concept nice and neat
I am not a label that you affix atop my feet
I am not the past. I am a living present piece
In a giant, worldwide puzzle of a fleeting, fragile peace
I am not a race. I am bones and flesh and heart
I am worthy and important; a life thespian in a lead part
I'm not a demographic. There's a purpose to my soul
We are uniquely qualified to be better as a whole
I'm afraid of an unknown future ~ scared of the indifference I'm seeing
I'm not black or white or he or she. I am, first, a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment