Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Daughter

Sometimes, I am just obediently listening and writing.
To whomever needs to read this ... I hope it helps.
Enjoy:


The Daughter
by Lyn Marinello

Please do not dismiss me
Don't treat me as second rate
Don't use me as the brunt of your jokes
As though I can't add to your debate
I am pummeled by your cruelty
Hardened and belittled
Saddened by insensitivity
Self-worth slowly, painfully whittled
My heart is crushed by insolence
My light dims with each harsh phrase
I am focused on silver linings
Though sometimes lost in a heavy haze
I don't know when it happened
That you assumed my worth was less
Though each action of yours hurts
I'll continue to be me, I guess
For your actions are yours alone
The weight of which you must bare
I've never asked for very much
Just that you might show you care
There once was joy and tenderness
Frivolity, laughter, delight
Not quite sure when every word I speak
Sparks a confrontation or a fight
Don't judge me by my quietude
I assure you it's not because I'm meek
Don't think that my passive nature
Is a sign that I am weak
I am a being just like you
Made of flesh and blood and bone
I am the daughter of the King
Who sits lofty on His throne

No comments:

Post a Comment