Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Four Fathers

Four Fathers
by Lyn Marinello

Scalfronso - my four fathers
All intermingled together
Forever and always connected
Yet nary one single tether
One was a best friend
Cheering at all of my meets
Not so strong a role model
But always praising from front row seats
He instilled a love of nature
Of fishing & hiking & working with hands
He had a terrible habit
But stifled it on our demands
The next one made his mark
With tennis, golf and computers
Seven miles on the railroad track
Made us travelling dispute resolute-ers
You must work for what you want
Earn the things you'd like to own
Another okay role model
Who diminished every way I'd grown
I guess the third time's the charm
The knight to my Princess Mom
No matter familial calamity
He was, in every storm, her calm
As a role model, near the top,
Chivalrous, purposeful, kind
He could have been more accepting
But he & Mom were beautifully aligned
I married into number four
An amazing human treat
Diminutive by social standards
But one of the best you'd ever meet
His love was unconditional
His zest for life - contagious
Giving, caring, selfless,
A role model for the ages
More forefathers were four fathers
Teaching ethics, sports, love and morale
I am me because of them
Cal, Alfred, Alphonso & Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment