Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Good Samaritan

Today is Good Samaritan Day.

This one is a little older,
and a little lengthy,
but seems to fit the day.
I hope you enjoy.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

Passing Through
by Lyn Marinello

Out for a walk, I found myself, at a large park near my home.
A little old man, alone on a bench, caught my eye whilst I did roam.
I watched him from a distance. He'd occasionally smile or laugh out loud.
I felt a little sorry that he might be lost in a dementia cloud.
Before I knew where I was headed, I stood in front of his wooden seat.
"I've seen you here before," I said. "I thought we'd finally meet."
His cloudy eyes of blue looked up. A wrinkled hand patted weathered slats.
"Have a seat. I've seen you, too." And so began a most extraordinary chat.
"It's a beautiful day outside today." I spoke in a stiff, uncomfortable voice.
"Sure is!" he said quite gleefully. "So glad you're out! What a wonderful choice!"
I smiled at his positivity; asked him how he was doing today.
"I'm enjoying the sun and watching the birds. And how are you, if I may?"
Taken aback by his interest, the shock must have shown on my face.
He gently touched my arm and said, "My apologies if I was out of place."
I couldn't help but answer, "Not at all, but why would you ask?"
"We're sharing a seat and a moment. If I can help, I'm up to the task."
Any bit of apprehension simply lifted its weighted veil.
"I can't find work, my marriage is stressed, life just seems kind of stale."
He stared off into the woods. I thought perhaps he did not hear.
But after a bit, he turned and spoke in words quite eloquent and clear.
"Sir, work will come, I'm certain. Perhaps, expand your view.
And if you've got a marriage, you are blessed in all you do.
You see you have a purpose; someone you love, and provide for too.
Life is whatever you make it. It's all in your point of view.
Things aren't stale, as you stated. When's the last time you went on a date?
Enjoyed the world around you? It's really never too late."
And with a deep breath, he turned again, finding joy in a flitting bee.
And it was like a new awakening as his words washed over me.
"Are you married?" I inquired. "I was," was his reply.
"I'm sorry," I said with true remorse. He smiled and asked me why.
"My wife of nearly 60 years filled my heart and life with glee
I don't dwell on her passing, but rather the life she shared with me.
She gave me several children. We shared many a laugh and tear.
I held her hand. She held my heart. She knew the man beneath the veneer."
In disbelief I listened. Such profundity so close.
I found myself transfixed. I was totally engrossed.
"I worked a couple lengthy jobs. Some time off with due concern,
But every door I entered held a lesson for me to learn.
Believe me when I tell you, son, life's a bumpy, ragged road.
It's not about the vessel you take, but who helps you carry the load."
For a moment we sat in silence. His gaze focused on skittish squirrels.
Before I could ask the question, he spoke, "Two fine boys. Two beautiful girls."
I asked how old they were. He smiled, "All married with kids of their own.
Even got a couple of grandkids - the gems of seeds that I have sown.
And how 'bout you, a sturdy lad, have you any offspring yet?"
"My wife's expecting, a boy and a girl, twins." "Fantastic! A matching set!"
Floored by his response, I gently reminded this man.
"I just told you, I'm unemployed." He smiled, "Life doesn't always go as planned."
"How will I provide? How will I make ends meet?"
"Sometimes," he said, "you work best on your knees, not on your feet.
You've got to have faith in yourself. You seem smart and able and apt.
When faced with tribulations, you've got to overcome, adapt."
He laughed at a passing puppy quite tangled up in his lead,
And the antics of the owner as he tried to get him freed.
"Life," he resumed, "will find a way. That's a dinosaur movie line."
"Didn't turn out well for the dinosaur." "Nor the man that fiddled with God's design."
Although I was completely sarcastic, his words cut right to my very core
He noticed my pain and spoke again, "Your attitude is everything. Amend it, I implore.
Take count of all of your blessings; numerous, I bet. Have you tried?
Life's not defined by a bank account. Wealth's measured by those at your side."
The weight of his words nearly crushed me. And yet, somehow, I felt enlightened.
A few simple words from a little old man and every one of my senses seemed heightened.
I turned to him, eyes glistening. "I'm not sure how to properly thank you."
"You already have, my dear young man. Isn't the sky an amazing blue?"
And I leaned back and took a long look at a beautifully clear azure sky.
At puffy white clouds and chipmunks at play and the clasped hands of those walking by.
The chirping of my cell phone brought the moment to a bittersweet end.
I excused myself and answered and could barely comprehend.
I thought it might be my wife, but it was from a job to which I'd applied.
A better offer than what I'd hoped; vacation and benefits supplied.
Overwhelmed, I shared my joyous news. He simply grinned and said, "You see?
A change of view changes so much more. I'm so glad you ran into me."
Humbled by his kindness. Inspired by his wit and grace.
"I'm just a few moment's walk from here. Would you like to come back to my place?
My wife would love to meet you. I've got to share this news."
"You go ahead, enjoy the day. I've got to shuffle these old shoes."
"I'd love to come and meet again; enjoy another chat with you."
"Young sir, my work is done right here. I'm simply passing through.
But sometime in the future, you may meet a beaten, battered soul.
Return your thoughts to this old bench; take your turn and make him whole."

2 comments: