Friday, September 20, 2013

A Ch-Angel for National POW Day

Today is National POW Day ~ a day to celebrate those who suffered at the hands of our enemies. But if you know me, I won't fall victim to the negative or sadness.

So . . . today, I not only celebrate POWs, but I am honoring a beautiful Ch-Angel who was ALSO a POW ~ William Botsakos, my grandfather.

Bill, Billy Botts, Grandpa, car guy, boxer, gambler, family man, veteran, POW. It doesn't matter how you knew him, but if you were lucky enough to know him . . . you were lucky!

This man helped to raise EIGHT children. He was a veteran and a POW. He was a professional boxer. He was a tinkerer, a fixer, a baseball guy, a gambler, . . . my friend!

He taught us all how to box . . . the old fashioned way. The way where you finish the punch with a squarely placed elbow! Or perhaps to step on the toes of the opponent so they could not retract from your onslaught. I remember after 'boxing lessons,' he would have us each grab a bicep and he would carry us around by his muscles.

He liked music and dancing and was really a lover - even with his love of fighting. He was a big giant teddy bear! He loved cars and playing ball with the family during picnics and outings. He taught us how to gamble. He was a lover of the craps table. Oh . . . the mighty YO!

And, to me personally, so much more.

When I could not choose between my dad or step-dad to walk me down the aisle at my wedding, I asked him if he'd have issues taking on the task. I wanted to ensure he could handle whatever came his way from either of my dads. He wouldn't even let me finish the question. He agreed immediately. It is a beautiful memory I will cherish forever.

I have a photo of him pushing my daughter around in a box he 'turned into a car' for her first birthday ~ complete with car noises and 'up-on-two-wheels' turns. Priceless. And, sadly, it breaks my heart that my son missed meeting him by just one month. That sadness is erased only by the fact that I know my son is every bit the fighter my grandfather was. What a terrific trait to carry!

So, today, I acknowledge and share admiration and respect with all you POWs. I thank you for what you endured for our Country and our freedoms. But, with a tiny bit of selfishness, I acknowledge William Botsakos - my Ch-Angel POW just a little bit more!

Miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment