Thursday, April 5, 2012

110%

I blame my mom for a lot of  things: my manners, my creativity, my need to tend to others, my musicalness, my love of country, my big heart, my talents, and much more. One of the best things she ever instilled in me, and every single one of my brothers, though, is our work ethic. I think it was a definite driven lesson in the folks I knew growing up. There are no freebies. If you want something, you "eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn it". You work hard, you get dirty, you teach yourself, you struggle, and you endure lots of stuff to get where you want to be and what you want to have. Handouts are not quite as delicious as something you've put your blood, sweat, and tears into.

And, along those lines, regarding work . . . your efforts, your word, and your finished product speak volumes about yourself. Your end task is to have your endeavor leave no doubt as to the exertion you put into it. When someone attacks my efforts, it is as blatent an attack on me, personally, as a kick to the gut. Question my labors, and you question my integrity. It is not good and the outcome won't be pretty!

Whether it is cleaning the kitchen, putting away clothes at Macy's, doing graphics, or leading a fundraising endeavor . . . it is 110% or nothing! That is who I am. That is what you get. Do not judge it, lest it not be offered any more. Do not degrade it, it will never be done again. THIS is what my mother taught me! Sometimes, it is draining to the point of total emotional and physical exhaustion. However, to observe even one person enjoying my efforts, the wages of my worth are proven. It is a most gratifying experience to hear a positive comment flit through the air from an unwitting speaker to the ears of the laborer. It is pure joy. Perpetuate the positive. Take heed of your words and actions, as you never know who is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment