Monday, May 6, 2013

Moments

Life is made up of moments.

Some take your breath away. Some leave you staggering. Some startle you. Some frighten you. Some enlighten you. Some embolden you. Some buoy you. Some strengthen you.

All are special, important, and vital.

My husband has a way of shocking those moments into our lives. He is a warm and loving person, but not so much in public. He is not all warm and fuzzy and mushy, unless we are sharing a moment in which he thinks that is appropriate.

A few days ago, he shocked me with a warm, mushy moment that I'm certain will stick with me for a long, long time.

He was telling me about his crazy restaurant people and his travels and what he sees and comes across during those travels. One of his favorite times of year is when he's north of us and sees the baby Sand Hill Cranes. They are big, beautiful creatures that sounds like pterodactyles when they squawk. It's actually a little scary.

Apparently, these big, beautiful birds are not too smart. They walk and feed and bring their young roadside without any fears or hesitation. Because of their size, the short flights begin low and, unfortunately, almost certainly into traffic. So he said to me, in the middle of all his ramblings, "Here's this beautiful family and then one gets killed. It's so sad. They mate for life and now the one is just left all alone - forever. And the baby only has one parent."

Now, I'm not sure if he does these things just for shock value. But, I think that he occasionally slips up and allows that beautiful interior of his to be seen. My heart just melted. How this strapping, brute of a man can be so choked up about a bird, just gives me hope for the whole world. It is a beautiful moment to have been a part of. He's a special guy.

Today, I hope you have a moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment