Thursday, May 23, 2013

Worry

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles.
It takes away today's peace.

This has been going around a lot lately. Not sure if it is just the state of the world, in general, or just a message I'm supposed to see and take note of.

There is a lovely, wonderful woman that I work with who thinks that I bottle up all the hurtful things that people say and do. She worries about me because she is very emotional and lets everything show. She feels it is better to cry or be angry than to harbor and hold in the hurt.

I've tried to explain to her that I am probably one of the most emotional people she will ever come across. I cry at Hallmark and Publix commercials, National Geographic specials, and occasionally in the card aisle in the store. When I am angry, my kickbag surely knows it and I'm certain that IT cries much more often than I do.

However, what I've tried to impress even more upon her is that the worry of what and how and when to feel things; how to fix things; and whom to be concerned with is something NONE of us have ANY control over. I cannot fix an angry customer. I can do what I'm able to do to please them, but if they still choose to be cranky, I will simply wish them a good day and, as my mother used to say . . . NEXT! I am only in control of what I say. I am not really in control of what you THINK I said or might have meant. That would be your business. There are those that take everything WAY too personally and believe it's all about them. I have no time for that.

I cannot worry about things I cannot control. I cannot fix all the broken in the world. I can mend my little corner. I can assist those in my neighborhood and those that choose to accept my assistance.

When I lay my weary bones down on my bed at night, I am content in knowing that I am spent. I have tried. I have given the day my all. I have shared what I could, loved who I'm able, and prayed for those I cannot physically help.

Do what you are able. Worry not about the things outside of your control. Do not fret today about yesterday or wish away today for tomorrow.

Today . . . find peace.

2 comments: