Friday, August 9, 2013

A Real Page Turner

Today is National Book Lovers Day!

I've always enjoyed reading. I believe it was birthed in Mr. Carroll's 7th or 8th grade reading class. It was free reading with a summary essay after each book. We were not forced to read things. We could choose whatever we wanted. It was a real eye-opening class. Freedom!

Some many moons later, my 'Miles-a-Minute' is stricken with a debilitating disease. His only outlet . . . reading! Was it a punishment? Heck no! He thrived on being carried away into whatever story he was reading and being taken far from what was happening to him. It was his outlet - his escape. He now has a room chock full of over 600 books and he has read about 98% of them, if not more.

My beautiful daughter, whose creativity lies in drawing and photography, sure surprised me when after a college English course, she RE-READ a giant book that she chose to keep from the class. She has truly turned into a connoisseur of myths and religions.

Reading is FUNdamental! It is a source of entertainment, knowledge and so very, very much more. Today, I hope that you find something good to read. It's exercise for your brain!

I'm hoping to get a few more pages of "Waking Up In Heaven" squeezed in before work today.

Read on, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment