Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Preparation

One of my dearest and sweetest friends brought a beautiful truth to light over the past few days.

I just spent the last couple of days constructing or helping to construct a futon, dining room table and four chairs, two dressers, a platform bed, two little tables with a matching book case and tv stand and a little butcher's block table. My hands are aching, my back and legs are shot, and my heart is about as heavy as can be as I left my son at college.

There was much laughter and silliness and we stayed up WAY too late. We romped around and shopped ourselves into oblivion and met some truly remarkable people.

I knew that saying 'goodbye' would be difficult, but I knew I had my husband to lean on for comfort and strength. It had never crossed my mind that I might have to help hold him together. It was a truly rough ride home. I am so very blessed to have met and married someone so very caring and wonderful.

And so . . .

When I arrived home, I read a post from a friend who was lending support. She said:

"We spend years preparing them for this. We don't ever begin to prepare ourselves."

You couldn't be more right. You are a wise and wonderful and comforting friend. Thank you for your strength and insight. It helps more than you know.

This new chapter begins slowly, but I know it will turn into a wonderful best seller in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment