Saturday, April 5, 2014

Persistence

There have been countless times in my life when giving up would have been the convenient thing to do. Oh, it would have been so easy to just cave, or slink away, or quit or hide from difficult situations. But that is not who my mother raised.


When my boyfriend, who moved me from NY to Georgia, decided to cheat on me, I could have run away back to NY. That's not my style. I pawned the ring he gave me, moved in with his best friend and basically just hung out to make him crazy. He thought I would leave. He really had no concept of who he was dealing with.


When the gym owner had me train for several months to be an aerobics instructor and then abruptly told me that no one would take my class because I'm 'too young and far too enthusiastic', I could have just given up. Well, I didn't get certified, but I joined the gym and was there about six days a week . . . making him crazy.


When my son was diagnosed with a life-threatening auto-immune disease, sure . . . our world came to a screeching halt . . . BUT . . . it did not end! We made adjustments, kept laughing, and pushed on through. That's what we do. It's who we are.


Right now, my life for the most part is pretty chill. Things are going well. I will always have those maternal stresses. Nothing will change that. I do, however, have dear friends who keep life in perspective for me. These dear chums are fighting their own battles and it is an honor to don some armor and fight alongside them. It keeps me sharp and on my toes and humbles me at the same time.


Just remember, my friends, that persistence really is key. Baby steps. Crawl if you need to, but just keep moving forward. You can conquer whatever comes your way. You are stronger, braver, more resilient and more amazing that you could ever comprehend.


Go be your amazing, persistent self!

No comments:

Post a Comment