Monday, April 7, 2014

The Three D's

What we hope ever to do with ease,
we must learn first to do with diligence.
~ Dr. Samuel Johnson


I learned to golf when I was young. There were seven children so each of us having a set of clubs was not really an option. We were each given a single club and a quarter. The quarter was used to change the angle of the club so we were able to create anything from a 3 iron through pitching wedge and putter. No woods. No drivers.


I enjoyed the outdoors and took to the sport immediately. Although I was not very good, the premise of getting exercise while getting some frustrations out was very alluring. I practiced and practiced and played and played and then practiced some more.


Within a few years, I had earned myself an inexpensive unmatched set of clubs. I played and played and practiced and practiced and then played some more.


I got good enough that I wanted to play on the kids team at the golf course we attended. They did not have a ladies team and so they jokingly said I had to play with the boys. So . . . I challenged my way through 12 to 16 boys to get from the B Team to the A Team and travel to compete at other courses. My best score at Wiltwyck in Kingston, from the men's tees, was an 80! Not too shabby for a 16 year old girl!


Very rarely do we instantly succeed. Diligence, determination and dedication.
If you want it . . . go and find a way to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment