Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

Fathers!
What an integral part of life! They have so much to teach, to burden, to share, to offer! Most folks are attached to their own and then, if lucky enough, find an in-law to befriend as well.
Me?  I have had FOUR!!!
First is Pop - my biological dad! I don't remember a lot of the early years as my parents divorced before I was 8. But he spent from when I was 12 until he passed away trying to amend for his earlier shortcomings and absences. He was a dear friend who supported me at EVERY gymnastics meet, listened to EVERY word I ever spoke, smiled whenever he was around any of his kids, and just tried to be a good and loving pal and person whenever the opportunity presented itself.
Second is Alfred - step dad #1! He may not have been my favorite person in the world, but I've got to give him credit for introducing me to golf and tennis. Starting with a single interchangeable club for each of the kids, we all whacked the snot out of the golf ball on a regular basis. A few of the brothers still play quite regularly and I'd love to if I had the time and a partner. I beat the boys on the boys golf team, because there was no girl team and was actually instrumental in getting a girls team started! I love tennis to pieces and that has spawned my adoration of racquetball as well. He was also instrumental in pushing my mom into the major end of the graphics business - where I garnered my livelihood. Been involved in graphics arts/design for nearly 40 years!
Third is Alfonso - step dad #2! Although our time with him was very brief, what he did for my mom was just incredible. Twenty years her senior, he showered her with affection and attention. He took care of her through her ailing years and shared in a plethora of all things she loved to do - especially music. He stood and sat in awe of her talents and her as a human being and, as my life was full of my own family, having my mom being catered to was a beautiful thing to finally witness. She deserved it and I cannot and will not ever be able to thank him enough for his care, reverence, and love for her!
Fourth is Sal - father-in-law! A man so short in stature but made up for in spades by his actions, love, and smile! With such a turbulent interchange of fathers as an adolescent, having this stability in my 20's and 30's was not only essential to my well-being, but fabulous for my heart! This man was a giant - no matter his size. He touched so many lives with sheer grace and kindness. To be called his daughter was truly a gift! I will cherish that for ever!
And let us not forget all those father-type figures who have come in and out of our lives. Those men who have served, in some manner, to rear us; to steer us; to guide us through some difficulties we faced, when our dad(s) could not be there. I thank you John, Harold, Lenny, Michael, and more.
I wish for you today (actually tomorrow) that you connect with your dad - whatever title he might hold. Thank him. Tell him you love him. Show him how much you care. It's not about the ties, the barbecue sets, or the sports memorabilia. It's about opening up and sharing your heart with someone who has given his up entirely for you!
Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending this Lyn it is very beautiful and a great testimony.

    ReplyDelete