Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pick a brother, any brother!

People often ask me in those silly email childhood questionnaires, "What was your favorite toy?"

My answer is always the same . . . "Pick a brother, any brother!"

With six to choose from, there was always someone to play with, someone to get into trouble with, someone to take a hike with, someone who was up for an adventure, someone willing to play the 'quad-opoly' (where we put like four monopoly games together and played for months at a time building entire villages, not just houses and hotels), someone to ride bikes with, someone to have mulberry fights with, someone to write and act out a play with, someone to fish with, someone to climb trees with, someone to play in the fort with, someone to play basketball with, or tennis with, or golf with, etc., etc., etc.  I think I was definitely spoiled to always have that opportunity. And I thoroughly enjoyed that blessing!

Now, sadly, as is the case with most large families . . . rifts occur. These folks aren't talking to those folks. Those two don't like that one and those guys won't contact these guys. It's really kind of childish, but such is the nature of the human being. It truly hurts my heart, though, and I know my mother was always greatly pained by the chasms between us. She learned, though, that interference usually just brought more grief and that was mostly on her - so she just let nature take its course . . . devastating as it might be (to her and to us).

My goal, as 'Aunt of the Year' (ha ha!), is to try to ensure that doesn't happen to the second generation. I truly believe that our kids are smarter than we are. They see the harm the abysses create and they do not want to repeat the procedure. I would love nothing more than for all the cousins to remain in touch, in contact, and humane! For the most part, I believe this is not only possible . . . but working! I want them to take what is in my heart . . . and share it with one another. The love. The understanding. The acceptance. The joy of having those relationships!

I still answer those email questionnaires with, "Pick a brother, any brother." I only wish it were true, today, that we would all play nicely together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment