Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Believe and Inquire

Yesterday I started a new job. I was, admittedly, a little nervous.

When I started my last job in retail, I began on Black Friday. Nothing like throwing the newbie to the wolves, right?

Yesterday was not really too different. I was learning something I've never done before - on one of their busiest days of the week. With the minute exclusion of about 20 minutes to eat lunch, I was never without a customer. It was a little nutty. I had to ask questions, get help, was continually learning, and then . . . it was time to go home.

I made it!

I was anxious about setting foot on unchartered territory. I walked in, set myself up, and let 'er rip! I was either going to sink or swim. Well, I may not have been very Phelps-esque, but I certainly didn't end up all bloated in the bottom of the pool. I got a smathering of compliments from my co-workers and really kind of enjoyed myself. There is still much to learn and do, but I did not crumble under the weight of a new task, in a new place, alone.

The point?

It doesn't matter what you're faced with, where you are, or who you're with. What matters is that you humble yourself enough to learn, absorb what is being taught, and persist! This applies to absolutely EVERY thing!

EVERYTHING!!!

Your belief in yourself and the ability to inquire are two of the most important skills you will ever possess. Armed with those tools, you are captain of your ship. You may not always find calm waters, but you have the prowess to sail on.

No comments:

Post a Comment