Thursday, March 21, 2013

You Bet!

You Bet!

This was one of my mother's favorite sayings.

She used it as a by-line for her "Ramblin' Gamblin'" business and she used it a lot in life as well. Momma was a gambler.

She married young and had five babies by the time she was 25! She did the unthinkable way back then and divorced my biological dad and began the journey of raising us on her own. There was no help from her mom as my youngest uncle is younger than my oldest brother. (I'll wait for that to sink in.)

She was always starting new businesses, thinking up ideas, creating new things. She married my first step-dad when I was 7. He came with two more children. Now she's raising seven kids! She never flinched.

She ran newspapers, businesses, bands, plaque booths, gambling trips, bingo buses, made t-shirts, embroidered stuff, and just dabbled in whatever piqued her interests. She was and is the most amazing person I have known. She was more tech savvy than a lot of teenagers I know and was afraid of nothing.

She remarried just a few years before she passed away. She was happy. And she was finally treated like the queen she knew she was.

She battled breast cancer, bone cancer, emphysema, bad eyes, water in her lungs, and probably a host of other things she never complained about. None of that was ever her focus. She focused on family, faith, and having fun.

She enjoyed a good time, music, and laughing. She adored her children, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren. She lived to love and loved to live.

So . . . when people comment snidely that "You sound just like your mom," or "You're turning into your mom," or "You opened your mouth and your mother came out," I simply reply . . .

You Bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment