Sunday, August 7, 2011

Angel's Wings

Years ago, I was asked to submit a poem for an edition of "The International  Who's Who in Poetry." I figured . . . can't hurt . . . so I did. Apparently they were only choosing a small amount of amateur poets, I believe it was one for each day. They were to be printed alphabetically by last name. I had received word that the poem that I wrote was chosen for publication - yay!

When my book arrived, there was a foreword that read:  This volume showcases some of the most important amateur poets of today. These are ordinary, everyday people from all walks of life who have shown the courage to commit their innermost feelings to print. . . .

I quickly turned to the "M" section to search for my name. I couldn't find it. I turned to the "R" portion thinking they might have used my maiden name. Pitifully saddened, I finally looked in the "L" area hoping that had alphabetized by first name. Nothing!

Not wanting to put a good book of poetry down, I decided I would just thumb through several poems as I enjoy reading them so very much. After the foreword was a page that said:
FEATURED POETS
We begin this directory with a diverse sampling of poets and poetry from around the world. While varying greatly in subject and style, all of these featured poets honor the passionate art of poetry by gracefully and courageously exploring their intimate thoughts and emotions. It is our hope that all those who read these selections will be inspired and encouraged to pursue their own creative form of self-expression.

The first poem in the book:

Angel's Wings

Angel's wings, embrace me, from the wicked of this Earth
Sheathe me in your feathery steel, protect my heavenly worth
A downy soft encasement to fortify my soul
A powerful light to guide me on a path to make me whole

Angel's wings, do comfort me. Soften the trials ahead
Grant me strength in faith to walk where I am led
Ratify my resolve to overcome what may
Offer me your solace to seek another day

Angel's wings, please lift me, to the heights of God's design
His glory rises ten-fold more than any inkling mortally mine
Soaring just below me, I ask for loft bequeathed
To my pinnacle of purpose with a winged net beneath

Angel's wings, provide me, a blissful journey to His throne
A celebratory ending to a beginning of glories unknown
Guide me home sweet angel whispers when my clay shell's been wrung dry
Lay me down softly on Angel's wings and carry me home on high!

Lyn Marinello

No comments:

Post a Comment