Friday, August 12, 2011

Salty salutations of serenity!

I've known all kinds of folks that are either 'afraid' to cry because it might lessen their bravado, or perhaps think it makes them appear 'weak'. To that . . . I weep for you!

I was trying to remember when the tears became so easy. It might have been when I was 8+ months pregnant with my son and got a call that my grandfather had passed away. That one really tore me up. Or perhaps, sitting in my living room on September 11, 2001 and watching the devastating mayhem that occurred in New York City. I know, for certain, that my heart was opened up in February of my son's 3rd grade year with a life-threatening auto-immune disease diagnosis.

I've never had an issue shedding tears when sad things happened, but there came a point when tears appeared simply because my heart was touched deeply. Good. Bad. Indifferent. The salty solution appeared. I would weep at certain commercials, specific actions by my children or my hubby, and God help me I just could NOT get through an episode of EXTREME Home Makeover! I thought maybe I was getting a little goofy.

Then I realized that I was merely sharing my joys, my sorrows, my soul with those around me. I cry over the All Children's Telethon every year. Not because I'm frail; because I've been in their shoes and I feel their pains. I well up doing a good deed, like paying for the groceries of the person behind me, because it's been done for me and truly touched me. I am currently bawling every time I pick up "Same Kind of Different As Me," (thank you Senora) as some of the storyline is far too close to open wounds I have.

I don't believe this is a display of weakness, over-sensitivity, or mild insanity. It is my heart, on my sleeve, for anyone and everyone to share . . . and THAT takes guts! It is the chance to be sincere, honest, and open and THAT is a rarity these days. I welcome the wailing. It is a release of love, and light, and purity.

Today, I wish for you . . . tears! Tears that cleanse. Tears that lift your spirit. Tears that offer you the chance to feel. Salty salutations of serenity!

1 comment:

  1. Yup. Tears work. We shed 'em for the very reasons of sadness, happiness and as a valve release when pent up stuff gets to be too much. Women can get away with crying, sometimes, but it is harder for men, but I have big sleeves too....very nice piece.

    ReplyDelete