Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Squirm a Little!

Getting out of our comfort zones is not an easy task. It takes all kinds of bravery, a huge amount of faith, a teeny bit of stupidity, and the will to do something you've never done. Taken to heart, it can prove to be one of the best decisions you'll ever make!

Many moons ago, I stepped out of my comfort zone, to tell my folks about an issue I had with a friend of theirs. It was terribly difficult to do. It tooks all kinds of courage as this was not only a friend, but a co-worker. My step-dad, of course, blamed me. My mother said that maybe I misunderstood. I was certain of what I knew and had experienced. I defied them both and brought the issue to light. Soon thereafter, this man pistol-whipped his wife and was put in jail. Comfort Zone - widened.

When I moved away from home, I knew no one, had no friends, and ate Vienne Finger cookies for three weeks. I finally got a job and soon thereafter was cut loose by the gentleman who brought me thousands of miles from home. To pay my bills, I lept outside my comfort zone and took a job as a hostess at a local restaurant. Not only did my people skills expand exponentially, I met my husband there. Comfort Zone - enlarged.

Although I didn't particularly enjoy being in any spotlights (and still do not), I knew that I could not hide behind a computer my whole life and that eventually I would have to face people. The hostess job was a good beginning to fix that, but I had to get fired to continue dating my future husband. So . . . later on, I saw an opportunity to hold home parties and began my "Christmas Around the World" phase. I was in more homes and met more people than I ever imagined I would ever dare to. I made great money, made great friends, earned lots of stuff and enjoyed a whole new side of me. Comfort Zone - broadened.

When faced with issues regarding my children, I instinctly became 'Mother Bear'. No one will ever hurt my children. Unfortunately, disease is not a fair fighter. Instead of acknowledging its hold on us, we waged a war against it and decided to forge an alliance with the folks that did the real battling ~ the local hospital. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever conceive myself to be such a fierce advocate. When one becomes passionate about something, it is amazing what you can do. With the aid of my family and the support of my friends, I was able to raise thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars for All Children's Hospital and The Children's Dream Fund. I speak with such enthusiasm in their regard, and my actions match that devotion. Comfort Zone - obliterated!

Today, my wish for you is to, for starters, take a glance outside your comfort zone. Maybe tomorrow you'll take a stroll on its perimeter. Perhaps this weekend, you will step outside and do something completely out of your norm. The gains you will receive will astound you. It might be a little painful or unpleasant, but the benefits are beautiful! So . . . go ahead . . . squirm a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment