Monday, August 22, 2011

"Who's Better Than Me?"

In seventh grade, I met a Long-Island transplant at our little upstate New York school. She was a gymnastic phenom with much talent. We quickly became good friends. I frequented her house quite a bit and over the next several years got to know her parents quite well. They were super people; very accepting and sweet. Along with her parents, I got to know her parents' friends.

Now, at the time, parents were considered 'old' people and kids didn't socialize much with 'em, but I adored all the folks at 'The Farm'. Most of the time, the adults were drinking up a storm in the kitchen while we were everywhere else. They were a great source of jokes and seriously silly re-enactments that kept us laughing for hours. As I got older, I began to date the middle child of the family. That just meant more time over there and totally entrenching myself in their family and with their friends. It was a great time. Fabulously incredible memories.

One Standout: Lenny. I used to babysit his kids; who have grown up to be quite amazing folks in their own right. Son, Scott, has followed in Lenny's footsteps and is NYPD! Lenny would come to gymnastics meets, track meets, school functions and I would always see him at the boyfriend's house. When the boyfriend dumped me, Lenny saw me through a few days of the insanity - by simply chatting with me. It was as though he just wanted to assure me that no matter the turmoil I might be facing, some things are always constant.

Fast forward several years, I'm getting married. Lenny continued to stay in touch. Just a phone call every now and again, but a faithful friend none-the-less. When Lenny moved to Florida, I would visit him when different events took me over to his side of the state. He always had an open door, a full plate, a big hug, and a cold beer waiting! Always. The phone calls came more frequently and when we were together, Lenny spent a lot of time with my children. Out of respect, and because of how very special he is, he became "Uncle Lenny." He'd play chess with the children, urge their interests, ALWAYS talked to them as though they were adults which my kids truly respected, and we grew closer still. He would always say to the kids, through that enormously heart-warming smile, "Who's Better Than Me?" The kids would giggle and laugh and hug him to pieces.

When I wrote my first children's book, "Franky Four-Eyes" who was one of the folks who has a printed acknowledgement of the book and my talents? Uncle Lenny.
When I had a real rough day at the doctor's office with the eight-hour treatments, whose phone call immediately picked me up off the floor? Uncle Lenny.
When my mom passed away, who was one of the few folks that actually called me to talk, instead of just sending a card? Uncle Lenny.

Who has been a constant and consistent confidant, consoler, counselor, and cheerer-upper?
Who has been a faith friend, a paternal-parent person, a source of help and happiness?
Who has long been respected, admired, and looked up to?

Uncle Lenny

Thank you, Lenny, for being who you are. You are a source of so much goodness for me, my family, our mutual friends, and a bazillion other people. You have left a trail of tenderness and strength, love and leadership, charisma and character. You have made a definite impact on myself and on the world. You are a "Ch-Angel" worthy of wings, my friend. And to answer your age-old question: "Who's Better Than Me?"

Absolutely not a soul! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment