Friday, August 5, 2011

Remarkable Rocks

I'm staring at my eternal calendar on my desk. I've had it for many years and it sparks innumerable thoughts and ponderings. It's story shortly . . .

Today's quote is:
"The brook would lose its song if we removed the rocks."

As of late, this seems most poignant! So I will take it and run!

Beginning with the calendar itself . . . it was given to me . . . by a "rock". Several years ago, a beautiful person I met at a sporting event became a terrific friend to me and my family. She was talented, intelligent, and caring. She babysat my kids, my house, and became a wonderful friend. She gave me this calendar for a birthday gift. That might have been the last good decision she made. Her choices grew progressively worse and we parted ways. Sad, but I retained the calendar.

When I was very young and devastated by a young man, I thought (as most young females do) that it was all because I wasn't pretty enough. So; I joined a gym. I thrived in that gym. This is where my love of working out truly took root. I was there religiously six to seven days a week. Aerobics, nautilus, free-weights, negatives, pyramids; just beating myself to pieces. I loved it. When asked to be an aerobics instructor, I eagerly hopped on the opportunity. I trained for several months and just prior to receiving my certificate, the gym owner said to me, "You're too young. The older folks won't like your energy." Sad, but I retained the devotion.

My children were in middle and high school. I was volunteering like a mad-woman at their middle school. It was brought to my attention that the VP of the PTA was 'fixing' the annual fundraiser so her kid would win the much coveted iPod prize. I brought it to the attention of the school, the principal, and the county PTA council. My 'prize' for unveiling such an atrocity? I was made to resign from the newsletter responsibilities I had, asked to get off campus, told by the principal that "None of this sh#@ would have happened, if I hadn't opened my f$%$#! mouth," and asked to not return. I did leave, but came back at the beginning of the following school year knowing that although the VP's kid had indeed won the iPod, the PTA also had to purchase several more because the tallies had somehow been miscounted. Oh my! Go figure! Sad, but I am STILL volunteering!

I have mentioned that I love the quiet of nature. A babbling brook in the midst of a serene glenn is just one of God's intricate blessings. That brook wouldn't babble if it didn't have rocks in it. The song would be lost if not for the imperfections and impasses that cause the natural beauty of the wafting watery wails. The tune would change if the course were altered. I would not be who I am if not for the "rocks" mentioned above. My song would not be as sweet. Embrace the imperfections in your life. Sit atop those impasses and realize it is the very things you believe to be holding you back that are creating the incredible beauty that you are! The remarkable rocks within your brook, no matter where your song is sung, produces the possibilities of the person you are and can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment