Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Motherhood is interesting.

There are all those cute little quips about holding their hands for a little while, but their hearts forever. Or perhaps the challenges of each phase of life . . . mom is amazing, mom is so helpful, mom don't hug me in front of my friends, mom give me money so I can go out, mom your so out of touch, mom you don't know anything, mom hug me my heart is broken, mom I should have listened to you, mom what do I do, mom thanks for always being there, mom, please don't leave, mom I miss you.

I have had the unique experience of two kids with health challenges. It helped to create a tighter bond than some families. It also makes it much harder to let them go and make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons. Both of my children are incredibly intelligent and well beyond their years. They have huge hearts, generous souls, and a finesse around people that astounds me. Still, they have their moments of wanting to recreate the wheel.

I wish I could open up their brains and shove my 45 years in there. I'd do a little Spring cleaning. While in there, I would clean out their hurts, wipe away their trials, and stuff those life lessons neatly for easy access. I would take out the trash, clean up the language, put in some GOOD music (just kidding - they both LOVE great music), and stock their cranial refrigerator with all kinds of goodies. I would sweep out the cobwebs and frame their accomplishments. I'd repaint and refurbish all the magnificent items in their they believe to be old and worn out.

Alas, I cannot get in there. And so it is my task to simply hug them, squeeze them, love them, share with them, suffer with them, hold them, console them, guide them, and offer them whatever they might need along the way. Believe me when I say that it is much harder to raise a child than to be a child ~ even when the child is an adult! Spring cleaning is just a pipe dream!

Love you ~

1 comment:

  1. You already ARE in their brains though. Thats where the "mom..." comes from. That reliance for material and emotional stuff is just one branch of their bond to you. Alongside the car keys requests are the hug requests and the need for approval requests, tacit or not. You dont need to wipe away anything...they already self correct when they need to...

    ReplyDelete