Saturday, July 28, 2012

Together

I, unfortunately, missed a majority of the Opening Ceremony because I was at work. I did, however, get a very detailed recap from my son and husband. I wish I had been able to watch it myself, but I did see a majority of the Parade of Nations through the ending of the ceremony.

Paul McCartney getting choked up almost sent me over the edge. To see and hear the crowd as Great Britain entered the stadium made me all warm and fuzzy. For those of you that see the Olympics as a political pawn piece . . . you ought to change your vantage point.

These are athletes, from around the globe, with indifference to the size of their delegation, who come together to show the world their efforts. So many stories of courage and just becoming champions of their country, advocates of their countrymen, and spokesmen for their sports. They have lost 'self' in pursuit of their dreams. I find it so compellingly heart-wrenching to watch the seemingly toughest of athletes cry like babies when their national anthem is played. It drives home the endeavors they have achieved but also shows how far from self-serving those endeavors are.

I am hoping that these Games are safe and free from outside nonsense. I hope that you root for the United States, but at the same time, that you cheer on EVERY athlete in their efforts. I so want to see Usain Bolt run, literally, like the wind ~ but he's got competition this year. I would love to see Phelps and Lochte sweep everything but there are, I'm sure, contenders out there. The men's gymnastic team has promise this year, but they must defeat their constant nemeses who are working their tails off to stay in their position. The women's gymnastic team is poised for great things; but gymnastics is a game of minutia . . . absolutely EVERYTHING counts. The Dream Team Incarnate will take to the court in hopes of a repeat. Sometimes, it's just watching the congealing of greatness that brings awe to your television.

Forget politics for two weeks plus. Forget the incessant negative ads that plague the air waves. Instead, focus on the athletes. Focus on their efforts. Cheer on your favorites. Cheer on your country. Cheer! It is a time when all these nations and athletes come together as ONE active body. It is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment