Monday, April 1, 2013

An April Fool

An April Fool

Three years ago today on a beautiful Florida morn
I held the cold hand of a departed friend: The mother to whom I was born

I had travelled across the state to assist because she fell
Two days later, I sat in shock. The visit had gone to hell

We arrived for hospital discharge. There was laughter and chatter and more
We watched American Idol like a million visits before

She was eager to get to rehab. She tickled the ivories there
The other patients adored her and the musical gifts she shared

We settled her into her room. Her husband was allowed to stay
She and her roommate soon hit it off and were chatting the evening away

My sister and I left for the night. Content that she was ok
But the call we got the next morning was one of dread and dismay

She'd been taken to ICU. Her breathing could not be sustained
When we arrived at the hospital the anguish could not be refrained

She was in a giant bed. Dwarfed by machines; enveloped in wires
A breathing tube to help her breathe. Her husband, bedside, exhausted and tired

We ushered him home to rest. We sat vigilant, steadfast in prayer
Her tube removed, breathing on her own, we sat next to her hyper-aware

The doctor finally came to visit. Explained she'd be lucky to see dawn's light
Neither of us grasped the magnitude of the finality of this fight

She'd simply broken her collarbone. Could we be hearing this right?
We talked to her and sang her songs to help her through the night.

They moved us to a private room. We prayed for her without cease
To allow the Lord to take her home to finally rest in peace.

Early in the morning, in the hospital's sterile cool
I watched in disbelieving shock and became an April Fool

My mom, my friend, my confidant, slipped quietly toward Heaven's gate
The burden of her pain was gone, now I carry that heavy weight

. . .

Here I sit some years later, still devastated by this loss
Who do I share my victories with? To whom do I rant when cross?

I know she's earned here wings. She's the keyboard queen in the sky
I know I'm blessed to have been there; to have been able to say goodbye

But daily my heart aches for her. She left such a gaping hole
The solace for this April Fool is to know she's blessed my soul.

I love you and miss you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment