Sunday, April 28, 2013

Shake Things Up

I do not normally blog on Sundays. Yes, even I take a day off and try to relax. Tomorrow, however, will be an insanely busy day and I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in my regular morning efforts, so I will 'shake things up' and take Monday off instead!

Crazy, right? Living on the edge and all!

Let me tell you about 'shaking things up'!

Yesterday, after all the yard work and beating up the kick bag, I turned to a great expanse of open driveway. My first thought was . . . roundoff back sommie. Intelligence got the better of me and I did a few split leaps instead. My mind was instantly back to RVC gymnastics. When I went into the garage to grab a water, I was staring straight into the little placque given to me by my gymnastics coach that says, "Be your own special self." I smiled.

I ran around and did a few errands after a shower and gathered the mail on the way into the house. Not much good stuff, but there was this envelope. Now I knew from the return address who it was from and my heart was happy. This person is my second mom. She's known me since before I existed and has loved me for as many years as one of her own. Her little card came to 'shake things up'. It simply said, "Just a hug . . .  Just for you . . .  Just because." I smiled.

See . . . you don't have to cure a disease or invent the next veg-o-matic to 'shake things up'. You simply need to follow your heart and do something nice. You never, ever know what it will mean to the recipient. I've had that gymnastics placque for about THIRTY years. Its message has truly sunk in and I love that my coach took the time to choose that especially for me. My 'Just Because' card from my friend will sit on my desk, beside my photo of my mom, to warm my heart and start my days off properly. It's good to know you're cared about.

Shake Things Up . . . make a difference in someone's life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment