Thursday, December 29, 2011

Baffling Bliss

Every morning that I sit down to write this, I am accompanied by my mom and my great niece. I have their photos next to my desk and even though some days it makes me sad to know they are not tangibly, physically here . . . I am buoyed by the fact that they are always with me. They inspire me and spur me on; not only to write, but to venture into territories yet unexplored for me.

My mom was an absolutely amazing person - gone far too soon from this earth, but leaving behind literally thousands of touched and blessed lives. She instilled all kinds of fabulous values and morals and ethics in myself and my siblings. She was always all about family. She gave creative gifts to each of her children and I am thrilled that most of them have run with those talents and done great for themselves. She offered us her love of music and laughter. Besides a heartbeat, those are two of the most vital functions in the world! Thanks, mom, for always pushing; always guiding; always leading . . . even now.

My great niece, Julia, was born here in Florida to my nephew Danny. My children, then in high school, held her at just a day old. They are not around a lot of infants so this was a new and tremendously enriching experience for them. Julia spent a few days at our house as she grew. She was a precious, dear, and loveable little munchkin inviting love wherever she went. It was nice to have a wee one in my arms again; smelling all powdery and cuddling. My nephew then moved back to New York where while at work, Julia was found unresponsive in her crib at the babysitter's house. She left this earth at just four months old. What I find most amazing is how many lives can be touched by the tendrils of a tiny infant! Her loss was devastating, but I know she is with my mom, her great-grandma ~ learning all those things that mom taught us when we were little. Julia brought light and love and clarity to this world. She was a treasure and a blessing.

And so, sometimes, I just type whatever might come out; regardless of any perceived or attempted lessons or great and grand deliverance. Sometimes, it is just pure emotion. Today, I write inspired by my angels who accompany me every morning - with sadness and celebration all swirled up together in baffling bliss. I hope your day is filled with inspiration ~ from whatever source!

1 comment: