Thursday, December 15, 2011

Practice What You Preach!

So it would seem that I needed someone to come slap me in the head and read to me my own 'words of wisdom' yesterday. When I arrived at work yesterday, there were two fitting rooms of about four to six dressing rooms per station that had NOT been touched all day! Two co-workers called out. It was me, myself, and I trying to dig myself out of a VERY deep hole! I was frustrated and stressed - to say the least!

I did well in the beginning. I realized that I couldn't do both rooms at the same time. I am, after all, only one person. So I set about trying to separate and sort the busier of the two rooms. Once I had items for other departments sorted, I walked them to each of four different departments. Then I got down to the task of organizing what belonged there and trying to return it to its rightful place on the sales floor.

About an hour later, an older woman approached me from one of those 'four different departments'. She held in her hand two items. One was a pair of shorts and one was a necklace. She held them out to me and said, "These are not mine. This one goes to petites and this one goes to jewelry." I could not fathom what she was saying. Not because she was not correct, but because she had walked twice as far to return these things to me as she would have needed to do to return them to their correct departments. I took them from her and said, "Really? OK." To which she replied, in quite a rant, "Are you always this nasty? Do you have a problem? Is there something wrong with you?" And on and on, whilst walking through customers. I could not decide whether to beat her to death with a hanger or sit on the floor and cry!

Sometimes, we all need a little lesson in 'practicing what we preach'. I needed to take a deep breath and relax. I needed to take a step back and realize the full weight of the subject (which is NOTHING) and move beyond it. So, after a rather sleepless night, and assurance that my superior and her superior will be chatting with this woman about her bad behavior, I will face this day with a renewed splendor of all that is grand and glorious! She does not matter in the grand scheme of things that matter to me. My only hope is that I don't front kick her in the sternum or palm heel her in the face should she annoy me today. Send me your happy thoughts and remind me to 'practice what I preach'!

Thanks ~

3 comments:

  1. How about you sing "Away In A Manger" ala Billie Holiday to her? That ought to bring her up short....

    Ann @ All Children's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the front kick to the sternum idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does not matter in the grand scheme of things that matter to me. --said very well!

    ReplyDelete