Thursday, December 22, 2011

My gift to you

I must say that I was quite saddened by someone VERY dear to me telling me that his "exuberance for the holiday season just wasn't there." Today, my love, is for YOU!

The holiday is what you make it to be! I could easily fall shattered to the floor that I cannot call my mom and wish her a festive season, but I can talk to her whenever and where ever I want. I could be horribly saddened that my family is not together, although Deanna (my daughter) is making her way home for Christmas Eve. But . . . I will take that Christmas Eve and Christmas morning and delight in every moment of us being together. I could be heartbroken that my brothers and I aren't closer in proximity and relation, but I take solace in knowing that they are in my prayers every night and my love for them is as constant as can be. What they choose to do is their business. There are many families who are hurting and down trodden, but there are a zillion places who are offering kindnesses, food and gifts for the season. There are a great many losses to reflect on and folks who are not here to share the holiday season with us, but we have one another and the opportunity to share a smile, a greeting, a seasonal wish and God's blessings . . . and THAT is a gift no one can ever take away from you!

I remember, quite vividly (and don't know why cause I think I was REALLY young), receiving a space-shift style fort for Christmas one year and having my real dad poke his head in and out of all the portals and windows. I can see his big ol' ears sticking out and the smiles and laughter that ensued. I can recall receiving odd fabric gifts from my grandmother and every one of us had to come up with a different use for them . . . towels, turbins, dresses, capes. Too funny! I can recall the eager anticipation of waiting to burst through the living room door to get to those presents, but the fabulous unity of family in having to share a breakfast before that. That is actually a tradition I continue today; only it's worse here because I have no door to shut. The kids can see everything under the tree and still must wait until family breakfast is over!

The joy of children's laughter. The difference you make in sincerely wishing someone a Merry Christmas. The sparkle in a kid's eye as the mere thought of a visit from The Big Guy draws near. And, obviously, the gift of baby Jesus! These are the things to keep near and dear to your heart. These are the things that bring joy and laughter and holiday happiness to your inner self! Enjoy them. Dredge up those memories. Listen to the all-Christmas music radio station. Wear Christmas underwear and smile without anyone knowing why. It's within YOU to have the exuberance you desire!

This is my gift to you! With much love and more squishes than you could ever imagine! Be blessed and bathe in the bountiful and abundant beauty that is Christmas! Tell me your favorite Christmas memory and, in just that simple exercise, you will find a smile appearing on your face! Keep it there! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Lyn! The funniest thing is, of all the Christmases in our shared past, the one with the space ship stands out in front of all the rest. Even as a kid, I was thinking "did Mom and Dad hit the lottery or something?"...that Christmas was HUGE. I also remember Pop sticking his head out of all the portals, lol, too funny.
    Another Christmas memory were the midnight masses at St. Peter's with Mom and Poppa and Aunt Sue. Though the catholic masses themselves are a bit frightening, the spirit of all of it was awesome and quite memorable.
    Also, as i mentioned earlier, I read your blog every day and enjoy it thoroughly. Obviously some more than others, but it's all good. Love you and keep on bloggin'

    ReplyDelete