Monday, October 3, 2011

Come the distance . . .

Ah . . . time for a Ch-Angel!

This Ch-Angel came into this world in a crazy way and has just taken his little corner by storm. My son, Miles, was due in February. Hubby had taken time off to help with Deanna around that time but after a visit to the doc, we were told it would be a good two weeks before we'd be dealing with any newborns. So, hubby picked up a shift at the store he worked at, an hour away from home. I, along with Deanna, went about my day. Shortly after lunch, there was cramping and within a few hours, I was seriously concered. My neighbor from across the street requested I call with any needs. I grabbed the phone and dialed while looking out the window. I breathed. As it rang, I watched her load her family in her car and head out of the driveway. Hmmmmm. I breathed. I tried my other helpful neighbor, who replied, "We're in the middle of dinner. Can ya call back?" So . . . I waited. I contemplated 911. I breathed. I called them back about 15 minutes later and Kitty answered. "Hey, Kitty. I hope you're done with dinner, I think I might need a ride to the hospital." She freaked out. She started yelling at me, "Why didn't you say so?" Then began barking orders at her family and within moments they converged on my home. Glenn shut the garage door on his truck so it would close as we pulled out. Their two kids sat wide-eyed in the back of the van as I climbed in with Deanna onto the entire back bucket seat covered with blankets and towels. We took the suicide lane all the way to the hospital and Kitty stayed with me throughout. Such excitement.

The chord was around his neck, his heart rate slowed with every contraction, and when he was finally born they whisked him away to ensure his health. I never got to see him. About an hour later, hubby showed up screaming about his wife in labor at the ladies at registration. He came in quickly, kissed me every so gently, and left to go see his son. It was a very long time before I got to hold my Miles. It was very much worth it! Vic brought Deanna the next day and one of my favorite memories is this tiny 20-month old girld holding her infant brother. Priceless!!!

Ten months later, we were back at that hospital. I was laying with Miles in an infant-sized bed with a mister going constantly because he had a horrible case of Croup - in the top 3% the doc said. My Miles always strives to be the best! Ugh! That lasted for a nearly a week, but we were blessed to be able to come home for Christmas.

Eight years later, we were back in a hospital, this time All Children's, being diagnosed with a rare life-threatening auto-immune disease. Rough patch, to say the least! Six years later, Miles was officially discharged as a patient with his disease being in remission with very little chance of coming back.

Throughout all those many years, there were tears (of course), but this Ch-Angel of mine shone bright the whole time. His smile and feisty personality won the hearts of many folks. His positive attitude and persistence magnified the masses. My "Miles-A-Minute," who only faultered for a brief while, is a brilliant, beaming human being with generosity, kindness, intelligence, and charisma beyond most anyone I know. He inspires me. He makes me laugh. He continues to make me cry, but they are mostly happy tears, and that's just a mom thing. He gives back eagerly and in abundance. He is focused, determined, and philanthropic beyond his years. I am proud of his tenacity and tenderness; his prowess and patience; his leadership and loyalty to the things he truly believes in. I cannot wait to see all the wonderful things that he will accomplish in his life.

Miles. Having come the distance, he's definitely a Ch-Angel worth knowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment