Monday, October 31, 2011

Boo!

I like Halloween, but it's not my favorite holiday. Although . . .

Many, many moons ago, my family decided to go all out for a spooktacular treat. My mom decided she was going to answer the door in all black, with a black shawl, holding a giant knife covered in blood (ok - it was ketchup). She would invite the trick-or-treaters in the house to pick their candy and change from the bowl that my youngest brother's hand lay in as he was cut up and bleeding all over the counter by the door. I believe there may have been another bleeding and broken brother that they had to walk over to get the candy, too.

Once inside, I opened up the cadillac door in the driveway, blocking the trick-or-treaters retreat and fell out backwards with my neck slit and blood all over. The poor little children had no alternative but to venture out into our very dark yard to get back to the street. Sadly, the rest of the brothers lay in wait; dressed in all black; with no intention other than to scare the snot out of those kids as they headed along their way.

The screams that were heard kept the evening rolling along; but the other sound . . . the sound of change and candy bouncing off the driveway and the cars as the children ran for their lives was too funny. That was just the silliest Halloween I can recall as a kid.

Story's not over. The following morning, we spent literally hours cleaning up our yard. There was candy everywhere. There was change all over the place. Spent the whole day after Halloween laughing about as hard as the previous night.

Ahhhhhh, sweet memories. Today, I wish you Halloween memories to fill your tomorrows. Enjoy! Be safe! And don't get too scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment