Monday, October 24, 2011

Grow Round!

Ahhhh, to be well rounded! Sadly, this kinda refers more now to my physical shape than my abilities and experiences, but today I defer to those abilities and experiences.

What glorious opportunities I have had in my life. I have been enriched by so many things and so many people. I am truly lucky!

There has been a myriad of musical fulfillment. From swing and jazz through rock and rap. I've been blessed with classical influences and country soul and heavy metal. I've enjoyed barbershop quartets and been party to Sweet Adelines. I've played the piano, clarinet, trumpet, saxophone, drums, flute, and more. What a joy to have been exposed to all of that!

And to that music, I have danced! I took ballet, jazz, tap, modern dance, and hip hop. I did gymnastics for more years than I can recall. I played competitive golf, ran track, and dabbled in body building. I trained to teach aerobics and love tennis, racquetball, and tossing the old pigskin around. I'm a pretty good ping-pong and pool player and I adore a good bike ride. I love to hike and explore and climb rocks and ride horses.

I devour good books and have a plethora of reading tastes. Sometimes I enjoy a good Patterson thriller. Or, perhaps, a little Koontz craziness. And there are times when I go the complete opposite direction and read "Eat, Pray, Love" or "The Shack". Then maybe I'll grab something all uplifting like "Freedom Writers". Could not get enough of C.S. Lewis and pretty much will read most anything on angels. I think it's important to consume all sorts of things.

I've done a little travelling.  Been up and down the eastern seaboard of the United States. I've been to Texas, Las Vegas and Wyoming. I travelled to Canada and to Germany. There are beautiful and amazing things everywhere. Know, though, that you need not travel to the ends of the earth to find beauty. There is an abundance in your own back yard.

And people . . . where do you start? I've known some absolutely, jaw-droppingly amazing folks. I have also known some . . . not-so-amazing folks. (That was nice, wasn't it?) I have met famous folks and average folks. I have endured the pains of hurtful people and have lavished, much more, in the love of genuine, kind, and caring folks. I like the latter much more, but must admit that without those hurtful folks the genuine ones would not be so very appreciated. There is much to be learned from EVERY person that you meet.

So, I encourage you today, to be well-rounded. It's never too late to start a new hobby, try a new destination, pick up a new paperback, or make a new friend. Life is about growth. Grow round, my friend. Grow round!

No comments:

Post a Comment