Friday, October 7, 2011

History of Perrine's Covered Bridge

This is NOT your average history lesson.

There is a beautiful covered bridge in Esopus, New York called Perrine's Covered Bridge. It is very rustic, beautiful, and quaint. This would be MY history with Perrine's Covered Bridge. As you'll read, a very bad thing happened there . . . but instead of allowing that negative to keep me away from such a stunningly serene spot . . . I remained vigilant in visiting and . . . goodness prevails!

In my early teens, it sure seemed like a million-mile bike ride, but I'm certain it's only a few miles from my Rosendale home. I would ride whatever available bike was around toward New Paltz to Perrine's. It was secluded and just very quiet and allowed for a great amount of thinking and pondering. On one particular trip to Perrine's, I noticed that a car was driving slowly behind me. I really took no interest until it turned down the desolate road toward Perrine's shortly after I did. I jumped off my bike and walked to mid-bridge hoping to see the car drive by. To my shock, I instead heard a car door close. My heart was racing; thumping so loud I could barely hear the water flowing beneath me. As I searched the shadows to see who might emerge, I almost laughed at myself when I saw my uncle sauntering my way. Hugs were exchanged and we chatted for a little bit. He told me he thought it was a little dangerous for me to be so far from home, in such an obscure place. I assured him I was fine and that I visited all the time. And then . . . bad things happened. My uncle . . . my mom's brother . . . tried to do things to me I still have blocked out a little bit. It was a very ugly time that seemed to last for hours. I'm sure it was only minutes, but by the time I was able to kick and fight myself away from him, I was on my bike and home before I remembered anything else. I told my mom who said, "I'm sure you misunderstood his actions." Other aunts and uncles said the same. No one believed me and I was devastated.

A few years later, having survived that hurdle and put it my rear view, and much less frequently visiting Perrine's, I found myself there with my first boyfriend. He had packed us a picnic, complete with blanket and sodas and grapes and all that jive. He was unaware of my past experience there, but I followed him across that bridge . . . and boy, do I mean that in a very multi-faceted way! We laughed, we talked, we ate, we drank, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and old memories were being stripped away. We then shared something much more intimate beyond Perrine's. It was perfect! Until, of course, laying curled within each others arms he happend to notice yelling and honking and realized that we were visible from the New York State THRUWAY!!! We laughed so hard we cried. It was truly the beginning of a much better historical period of Perrine's!

A few months alter, the boyfriend and I returned with his 'band of brothers,' . . . the Fab Four! We had brought steaks and beer this time and we were going to grill out at the picnic area just beyond the bridge. We hauled everything over the river, cracked a few brews, started the nonsense we always did and began grilling. Not until the steaks were done and we were all salivating like wild hyenas did anyone realize we forgot to bring utensils. Again, the laughter ensued. And, in true Fab Four Plus One fashion, we improvised. We, like animals, ate with our bare hands! About an hour later, beers drained, we all stumbled into the diner in New Paltz with steak juice covering our hands and dripping from our elbows. Our faces were covered with bits of meat and we truly must have been a sight. We got a lot of stares from lots of folks . . . but, oh, there was laughter . . . and incredible memories.

Moving on a few years, boyfriend's gone, but I am now with the Ulster County Tom Cruise! THE guy that every girl wanted to simply stand next to in high school and, if the Lord was smiling down on you, this young man might even speak to you! Can't even really remember how I came to be out with him, but . . . for those of you who know who I am talking about . . . who cares! And . . . guess where he decided to park his vehicle? Perrine's Covered Bridge! At evening's end, although not much more occurred, my neck looked like he actually tried to chew off my head. It was glorious. I had tangible proof that not only did he talk to me . . . he gave me hickies!!! Of course, I had to tell my mom that I had a fight with my curling iron . . . and it won . . . but I knew better! And it was beautiful!

And so . . . my early days at Perrine's were forgettable . . . and a little disturbing. But, given the opportunity, it redeemed itself and showed me some of the grandest, most fantastic memories I can ever recall. Life is like that!

If you'd like to visit . . . here's a link (but you should really go in person!)
http://www.klyneesopusmuseum.org/perrinesbridge.html
And, just so there is closure, and a little bit MORE redemption . . . that uncle has been taken to court, on a completely unrelated case, and convicted of pedophelia! So, thanks Perrine's for the magic and the memories. Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Im sorry that the "uncle incident" happened to you, Luckily you were not physically damaged and the psychological damage was minimal as well. You are a strong woman and that shows. Glad you are among us! Too bad your mom didnt take it more seriously though, about the uncle. maybe if somnething had been done, then the other case wouldnt have happened. Its not your fault, of course. Nice story. Lyn with meat juice on her arms.... ha!

    ReplyDelete