Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Retailiation!!!

Retail has always, I guess, been a part of my life. I grew up in a house with a graphics shop in the basement and learned, at 9, to sell name tags to teachers for 50 cents apiece. Then I learned typesetting, proofreading, graphics, design, etc. and how to sell and market all of that. Then I got a typesetting job outside of the house and learned to market it for someone else. I then got a hankering for working out and trained to become an aerobics instructor. Although that didn't pan out, it taught me a great many things about retail and myself. While doing those things ~ and I literally mean I was doing all those things at the same time ~ I worked the late shift at UPS unloading trucks and filling tractor trailers. Not so much retail, but super workout and gobs of cash!

Then I moved to Georgia where I did all kinds of graphics stuff and learned the label business. Left alone with mounting bills, I got a second job as a hostess at a restaurant. I had never done any sort of restaurant jobs in my life, but found that I loved to greet and chat and be around people. Must have learned that from my mom. (And, found my husband there!) From there, I believe I also became involved in Christmas Around the World doing home parties, selling and retailing my fanny off.

These last two months, though, at Macy's have given me a new perspective on retail. To have worked recovery has allowed me a new insight to people. These are shoppers buying name brand, very expensive items, and a vast majority of them are slobs with no manners. They leave their clothes piled in the fitting rooms, unhangered, or hangered inside out, or hangers simply scattered on the floor. And they will smile charmingly at you while they leave the area. Where are their mothers? Who taught them to behave this way? When did it become ok to leave ANY place in such disarray?
Do they throw food around the restaurants they eat in? What do their homes look like? It is just baffling to me.

So . . . in my own little world . . . I'd like to start a "retailiation"! What I wouldn't do to use my creative graphic side and whip up a few posters stating that your mother doesn't work here, we don't have a maid, so please pick up after yourself. Oh the smiles it would bring to my face! Or how sweet it would be to walk out after a customer and say, "Excuse me, you left a few items on the ground. Would you like me to get them for you?" Hee hee!

OK, so just the thought of those few actions will allow me to giggle through my shift today. What fun it would be to do those things. I am certain there are other professions that receive the same sort of abuse. Let me hear what you would do . . .
And smile . . .

5 comments:

  1. Lyn, I have also worked retail in my time although not at such an upscale place as Macy's. People are slobs everywhere. It's not just Americans either. Have you ever been to an outlet mall when the Brazilians are up here on break? They are like a herd of locusts leaving utter destruction in their wake. They are wonderful people but very inconsiderate shoppers! I have always said that these stores should reward people randomly for cleaning up after themselves. As a past retail worker, I cannot shop without picking up after myself and others. As a result, my husband gets frustrated shopping with me because I rehang things that have fallen off hangers and put clothes in the right size area when I find them in the wrong place. I think it would be useful as a teen for everyone to do a stint in retail

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a shopper, I will say something to other shoppers. I said to a guy at stewart's a couple months ago "dude, seriously...who are you leaving that mess for?" After he was a complete slob at the coffee station. He never said a word, nor did he clean his mess, but the girl behind the counter thanked me afterwards. I did pick his garbage up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a shopper, I will say something to other shoppers. I said to a guy at stewart's a couple months ago "dude, seriously...who are you leaving that mess for?" After he was a complete slob at the coffee station. He never said a word, nor did he clean his mess, but the girl behind the counter thanked me afterwards. I did pick his garbage up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyn, I also worked retail as a teenager and your correct...people are pigs. We were raised to pick up after ourselves and do what we can to help others I'm not sure what the rest of the world was taught surely it wasnt to be neat and tidy. I now work in a retirement facility and it always amazes me how people will just drop things on the floor, look at them and never pick them up. the rude and inconsiderate people need to catch up with the few of us who are nice and do the best we can. Love your blog, your insight is wonderful and sometimes comical...love you and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never worked in a retail store, but I am a shopper. I have seen some very inconsiderate people and some very messy dressing rooms in my shopping experiences. How ever I also have to look at the other side of that picture. If not for slobs in the dressing room there would be no need to pay a recovery person. I also always (well most of the time) return the grocery cart to the store. Every time I do I think of my girlfriends son . He works as a bagger at Publix. If I leave the cart he will have a job. There are always two ways to look at it.
    I hope to see you soon. Take care

    ReplyDelete