Friday, March 2, 2012

Extraordinary Gentlemen

My oldest brother, Cal, is one very blessed individual. Not because he was born on Valentine's Day. No because he is the oldest of seven kids. Not because he's remarkably intelligent and craftfully gifted. Not because he has two absolutely amazing children who are outstanding all on their own. It is because, quite simply, of who he surrounds himself with.

Cal is in his 50's now. That's a long way from high school, and yet, he is surrounded by his friends from those many years ago, not only on a continual basis, but on a frequent basis. This VERY special group of friends have stuck together, through all kinds of trials and tribulations, and remain as close as they have ever been; even now some 30+ years later!!! Divorce, sickness, moving, therapies, death, and every other curveball life could throw at them has not diminished the solidity that has formed between them. They will, in fact, be gathering this weekend to commemorate and remember a dear friend who passed away over a decade ago. They do it every year. It is a beautiful reminder of how valuable and binding friendships can be.

They meet up every summer for a long weekend to simply enjoy one another's company. Their children have grown up together and I have no doubt, their children's children will know each other also. Such a fabulously lucky group of individuals who have come across one another and found the worth in one another to remain connected. It truly warms my heart! And, dare I say, makes me a little jealous! I have my friends that I've stayed in touch with, since elementary school ~ but not to this degree! It is simply beautiful!

I find it comforting, though, to know that in some dimented way . . . they are ALL my 'oldest brothers'. I grew up with them, know them, love them, care about them, and miss them all. My 'six brother' tag line actually should be more like 'thirteen or fourteen' or more. Enjoy each other this weekend. Lift Joe up in prayer and thought. I will be thinking of you all from down here. Continue to value one another as you do. It is extraordinary . . . like all of you!

2 comments:

  1. And some wonderful recollections have been shared on other sites as well, for our late, great and sadly gone too early pal, Joe Cohen. May he be forever the funny and cleverly befuddled guy with a big heart, (that sadly let him down), that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir, Jim. He should be remembered EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete