Friday, March 9, 2012

Loss

On Wednesday, the aunt of my daughter's boyfriend passed away from cancer. Yesterday, a dear woman who I have known since probably before I was around passed away also. There is much sadness in their loss, but there is much to be gained from their lives.

Sadly, we are left here . . . to mourn. We wonder about possibilities, relish memories, maybe wish some event or conversation ended differently, and . . . we mourn. And that is good. They are blessed by the tears that fall for them. They feel that love and know that they are missed.

But, while we are here, maybe we can do a little learning. If you're able to get yourself on the bone marrow list, do it. It is a simple swab test that could do an infinite amount of good in the life of another. Nick's aunt would be proud to have opened that opportunity up to you. You might not have realized that such a simple task could save a life.

And, as for Mary, a most sweet and gentle soul, she'd want nothing more than mended fences and communication. I can't ever remember her being anything but the most caring person to all those she met. Her heart was always open. And so, open yours. Communicate. Think before you speak and consider others before you act. It seemed to be a rule that Mary lived by. Doesn't seem too terribly hard to try to do the same.

Loss leaves a horrible chasm in your heart. Fill it with good deeds, kind words, and fond memories.

2 comments:

  1. So serendipidous that you chose to write about this now. Biff's late father's birthday is Sunday and I have been thinking a lot about him. Thanks for reminding me to focus on the fond memories.
    Ann @ ACH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, about momma, but that's for an upcoming blog. :-( I used to put a flower in the ocean on the anniversary of my grandmother's and grandfather's passings - actually for their birthdays (to celebrate life instead of death). I think I need to get back to that ritual. It was cleansing, quiet, and good for my soul! I will meet you at the water's edge, my friend! xoxoxo

      Delete