Saturday, February 4, 2012

It IS just a game!

On the eve of Superbowl Sunday, I know there are masses of folks heading for the chip aisle, buying out the deli counter, and getting the grill prepared for a fabulous day of football! Whatever team you are rooting for (please, I hope it's the right one!); remember that it IS just a game! No matter the depth of your admiration for a certain player, your statistician superlatives, your deep-rooted team spirit since days before the womb . . . it is NOT justification to act like a idiot!

The folks rooting for the opposing team feel just as deeply. They are just as enamored with their players, have armed themselves with ratings and figures and facts; and their dedication is just as deeply instilled as yours. There is no right or wrong team to root for, just hopes of a good game where there are plenty of good catches and great hits ~ although we're hoping no one gets injured! It IS just a game!

Remember your manners. Remember your dignity. Remember your alcoholic limits. Remember your inside voice. Remember, mostly, that nowadays there are cameras on cell phones and one stupid idea might go viral by Monday! Folks, use your brains and play nice. It IS just a game!

The reasoning behind this blog today comes from experience. I had a t-shirt on for a Florida team. I went to the grocery store at half time for some goodies. I was verbally assaulted, like never before, by a person wearing the opposing team's shirt. I was buying bananas. WTH??? I was called names and told to do things I wouldn't say or wish on my worst enemies. People . . . it IS just a game!

ENJOY it!

No comments:

Post a Comment