Monday, February 27, 2012

Just Surviving!

File this one under "the grass is always greener" category. We all have things we wish we were better at. There's always something that we admire so fiercely in other folks. We tend to not see what they might find so very attractive in us; because we are so very busy in wishing we were more one way or another.

I have a friend who is having a rough patch of life right now. You would never know it. She continues to work; be an incredible mom; coach; lead; profess faith; support others; and my 'envy' ~ run! Don't get me wrong, I could probably sprint circles around her, but she could just run from now til next Thursday and barely break a sweat. I so envy this capability. Ugh! I took all kinds of dance lessons from first grade through seventh grade, did gymnastics for six years after that, then turned to aerobics and weight training, played tennis, ran track, love football, racquetball, hiking, swimming, and all kinds of other activities; but I have no endurance! It makes me nutty!

When I made mention, to this person, how I admired her dedication to running and how impressed I am with all her triathlons, 5K's, and races, her very simple and humble response was, and nearly immediate, "I'm not doing anything honorable, it's cheaper than therapy and I'm just trying to survive." And . . . poof . . . I was MORE enamored and impressed than EVER before! What a kind and gracious soul she has! She's simply beautiful!

And then, I realized this was one of those age-old life lessons about never judging a book by its cover. You never know what incites someone to do what they are doing. And you never know what hurdles they might literally be jumping. Our purpose is to simply cheer them on and support them. I support this incredible person with everything I am. She inspires me and countless others. She's a Ch-Angel in her own right and today, and every day, I wish her sunshine to run in and faith & blessings be her companions!

No comments:

Post a Comment