Monday, November 19, 2012

"Dee and Minees"

Oh, the undeniable joys of children!

If you had asked me, during potty training and the 'no' stages if I thoroughly enjoyed my children, I'm certain my answer might have been a little different. We must push through those phases, and through the teenage years (even though I had it pretty easy with my kids), to get to . . . now! I learned some great tricks for dealing with ornery kids from my mom. She was the master. For years, my children thought there were cameras all through the house that caught bad behavior on film. The old, "The one who took the item in question is surely going to start getting little red dots on their hands from all those germs" worked like a charm every time just waiting to see who started staring at their hands.

But now . . . hands down and in truly bias fashion . . . I've got some truly extraordinary children. Sadly for them, they grew up too quickly - without choice. But, faced with obstacles most will never see in their lifetimes, my kids stood tall, and brave, and mostly fearless. They are not afraid to shed a tear, but they are much more likely to fight, fight, fight. They are determined, dependable, dignified, delightfully devoted to life, generosity, and heart. They are each very different from the other but are uncompromising in their dedication to philanthropy and frivolity. They speak their minds and yet, find the uncommon grace to do it eloquently and without belittlement.

This Thursday, I get to have them both at my table again and I will be MORE than thankful. I will rejoice in the quiet time, the laughter, and the togetherness. It is truly what makes my heart happiest. I wish that those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of meeting and befriending my children could do so. Your world would improve exponentially!

I hope that your week is filled with family and faith; food and flavor - of many varieties, and unfettered fun and fellowship.

I am thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment