Friday, November 9, 2012

A Parallel

For those of you with an inkling of intelligence . . . this is NOT about football - although it's a nice read for Giants fans! Enjoy!

I have been a huge New York Giants fan since forever. Growing up in New York, with as many brothers as I had, you watched sports and you were either a Giants fan or a Jets fan. Jim Burt became my hero in the late 1980's when the Giants won the Superbowl. (I think it was 1986.) I believe he was the first person I ever witnessed grabbing his kid and hoisting him on his shoulders after the victory. Most other players were too manly and full of testosterone to acknowledge a little kid during that time. Or so that is how I recall it. Since that time . . . nearly thirty years ago . . . I am a Giants fan through and through! Go Blue!

Now last week, the Giants played the Steelers. I don't mind the Steelers. You have to admire the Steel Curtain and their lengthy history of wicked defense. Ben Roethlisberger is a decent quarterback ~ better than most, but as a person . . . ick. Quite a colorful background he has, eh? But he plays a pretty good football game even though, as of late, his mobility has not been what it was in days of old. The Steelers are far, far, far from my favorite team, but I'd root for them over some other teams. That's for sure!

Sadly, the Giants were flat. They did not play well. Offense was pretty pathetic and 4th quarter Eli was not present at this game. The defense made a lovely doormat for the Steelers to walk on and, in the end, my favorite team did not come away victorious.

Now . . . know this . . . I will NOT suddenly become a Steelers fan. I will NOT toss away all my Giants t-shirts, jerseys and memorabilia. I will NOT for an instant begin touting "Here we go, Steelers" cheers and waving a yellow towel. I am a Giants fan. I believe in the Giants. I root for the Giants. I am proud of the Giants and will back them through thick and thin. Some seasons will be good. Some will not. But for those Steelers fans who believe that a victory on your behalf means that all of the Giants fans will swiftly and hastily don the black and gold . . . you are sadly and grossly mistaken.

We hold our Giants faith with great vim and vigor. We believe in Big Blue! The G-men will carry on in their constant endeavors to reach the end zone in every game. They won't give up. They won't change their entire game strategy over one loss. They won't cower in defeat. They will stick strong to their game plan and learn lessons from the loss.

Go Giants!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment