Saturday, November 24, 2012

Family

Today, I am thankful for family . . . and believe me . . . there's plenty!

Years ago, when I was a youngen, there was always an abundance of family. My mom was one of eight children. She and my grandmother were actually having babies at the same time. My youngest uncle is younger than my oldest brother. Weird, eh?

Holidays were always full houses . . . literally! But here's a secret . . . some of the best 'family' are those that are NOT related!

Of those seven aunts and uncles of mine; I stay in touch with exactly NONE of them. For whatever reasons, some of them won't even tell what I did to make them angry, they don't speak to me. There are a couple who, out of courtesy, send the obligatory birthday card or Christmas card. There is the token 'Switzerland' uncle who kind of just stays under the radar and when I saw him at my mother's funeral he hugged me and wouldn't let go. That was kind of nice. Sure wish he was closer. I have an aunt and an uncle who live relatively close to me, but again . . . life took us in different directions. I wish them all happiness. Too bad those laughter-filled days are only memories.

Brothers . . . hmmm. I have six of those. I am in fairly regular contact with exactly HALF of them. One is very busy with his family in his own little section of the world. If I were to call him, we could talk for hours and we are good . . . he's just busy! One has many issues. He thinks that me calling and checking in on him is some sort of violation of his privacy. So, I'll wait til he wants to connect with me . . . but I miss him more than he'll ever understand. The last one has 'written me off.' I would guess that's his choice, but in retrospect he did that a long, long time ago and I just never took the hint. Now . . . they are all in my prayers every night. They are in my thoughts every day. I love them and I miss them. After that, what they choose to do is their business.

But the 'family' I am referring to are those folks who have no relation to me, other than pure and simple love. The Macias/Kluck family, the Redfields, the Paris/Dousharm family, the Reitanos, the Priest family. The many folks who took refuge in our home and either lived or stayed there for extended periods. My pseudo brothers: Danny, Bill, Todd, Paul. The sisters that I never had: Kate, Nancy, Amie, Debbie, and others. The faux uncles my children grew up with: Lenny, Sean, and Dave. The countless friends who have helped to guide me and support me and steady me. THESE folks truly are unconditional people who are grudgeless and judgement-free. They exist in my life by choice and I adore them for that . . . and so much more.

I am thankful, today, for family that is more familial than some relatives will ever be.

4 comments:

  1. I just wrote something so similar to this in my journal! My closest family members are the friends I have made over the years. We are two lucky women for the family we have! Love you and love reading your blogs, I'll have to share my link with you next time I write :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best family members some times. I love my family dearly . . . immediate, extended, and faux! They are absolutely precious. Wuold love to read your link! xoxo :-)

      Delete
  2. I freaking love you, and love this!!! I blogged something very similar to this last year... So true it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I freaking love YOU! I believe I remember that blog from last year. It rings truer and truer the older I get. I really want to have a cousins compilation some time in the future. Love you dearly, Mrs. Lovely! xoxo

      Delete