Friday, November 30, 2012

Critters

Since I can remember, I've always had some sort of pet. No . . . not my brothers . . . but usually a four-legged critter that can cuddle with you or play with you and share life's daily adventures.

There is something about a pet.

It may be the unconditional love. It may be the fact that they somehow know when you need the most attention. When you want to be lazy, and that pooch wants nothing but to play ball, they win and alleviate couch-potato-itis! The way the kitties will, for no apparent reason, just race around a room, up a chair, across a table, and then stop, on a dime, tail twitching . . . to see what happens next. Or perhaps when you're talking to a dog, like he's your best friend, and he cocks his head completely sideways as though baffled by how you've let this alleged problem bother you at all. How a horse will nudge you when you need a little nudging. Perhaps that bird that snuggles - as best a bird can snuggle - when you just need a little quiet reinforcement.

They want nothing in return except a little food, some petting, and a little love right back. They are truly a gift!

I've had big dogs, like Sir Dark Star (really, that was his name) a humongous Newfoundland who actually carried me by the ass-end of my snowsuit while playing a game of hide and seek with my brothers from my hiding spot to the front door. It's was his inherent nature to save me. Chaddam was a huge Saint Bernard. King was the brother to my grandmother's Kong ~ a pair of German Shepherd's who were just stunning. (We might have had Kong and she had King - can't remember!) Apparently, via pictures, we also had a collie. We also had Charlie, a stray we took in who stayed with us for eons and then kind of vanished one day. Charlie was a beagle mix. One of the smartest critters we ever owned.

And then, we wanted a cat . . . so someone chased down a wild cat and we domesticated it. I believe the first cat was Smokey. Well, Smokey begot us Klingon, Sylvester, and a slew of other cats. We had bunnies, chicks, birds, and we tried to collect frogs. (Ew!) Some evil weasel or something ate our bunnies, one of our lovely cats got to our chicks. Thank God we were only bird watching as the folks that left them for us neglected to tell us that the parrots knew how to not only open their own cages, but the cages of the other birds as well. THAT was fun. The whole frog thing . . . we caught as many as we could and put them in an old tub in the back yard. We covered the tub with an old screen door. We literally had hundreds if not a thousand frogs in there and then . . . we dumped the whole thing over to experience the mass exodus of hopping hilarity! We were kinda different back then. We also managed to kill a turtle. It was a very cool turtle. We all wanted to feed it . . . and apparently we did. Turtles, as it turns out, are not real smart. If people feed them, they just keep eating. I'm pretty sure we fed it to death.

Now . . . on my own . . . I've had the distinct pleasure of Floyd, a Scottish Terrier, and Maximus, a black lab. The joys of critter ownership is rivaled by exactly NOTHING! There is just something about a life depending on you, and you, literally depending back on it. It's a beautiful bond that adds so very much to your existence.

Today, I am thankful for the myriad of critters I have been blessed with.

6 comments:

  1. the turtle's name was Bashful and I still can't believe you guys killed him. The collie's name will pop into my head at about 3 AM tomorrow morning. I don't recall the parrot or the chicks. Scuzzer (aka Sire Dark Star III) weighed 186 pounds and really was a sweet dog as long as you didn't try to get him out of the car. I think we had Kong. Charlie was an amazing dog, but Dad never saw it...he took her for a long ride one day and she found her way home in about 24 hours. Some of my fondest memories of childhood involve these very critters. Now I just have a 23 pound rhino kitty named Daisy'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, the turtle's name WAS Bashful. You have a great memory. I think you helped feed him. The collie was when I was teeny. The birds were the ones we babysat for Mike Ficarra and they were literally all over the living room. The chicks were a school gig and we had 'em up in the attic under the head lamp and one of the cats got under the door and there was a trail of pretty yellow feathers all through the house the next morning. I remember Charlie making her way back home, but didn't she kind of just up and vanish one day? I knew you'd respond to this post. You WITH these critters is one of MY favorite childhood memories. And Scuzzer did not like purses either . . . or UPS guys. :-) Would love to one day meet your rhino kitty! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh...Trigger was the mom of all the cats you mentioned after Smokey, who was Trigger's mom. Trigger and Smokey were both incredible hunters...they still remain the only cats I've ever seen outrun a squirrel up a tree or catch a bird in mid-air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes . . . the hunters! They were awesome. Sylvester actually conjures up more memories for me. I remember him sitting in the tree swatting at birds flying by. I also remember Skeeter finding him under the station wagon. That memory was not as good! :-/ Remember the 'string' incident? :-) xoxo

      Delete
  3. By string incident, I'm guessing the baloney plastic that the cat only partially expelled, and Dan helped finish the job by stepping on it and goosing the cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently laughing so hard I'm nearly crying! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah good times. Except maybe for the cat! :-D

      Delete