Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Happy for Hurdles

Happy for Hurdles?

Yes . . . I am thankful for the troublesome times in my life. I recently had a discussion with a dear, old friend in reference to being appreciative of the less-than-perfect moments in your life. They truly make you cherish the wonderful blessings you are given.

Did I enjoy an uncle with improper intentions? Did I enjoy not one, but two, Amway business associates with less than business objectives? Did I enjoy a step-dad whose attention was not always fatherly? Did I enjoy having my heart not just broken, but obliterated, by my first boyfriend? Did I enjoy having my second boyfriend move me from New York to Georgia, and then leave me high and dry? Did I enjoy eating Vienna Finger cookies ONLY for three straight weeks - just to survive? Did I enjoy leaving Georgia and the friends I had made to move to Florida? Did I enjoy my best friend's boyfriend costing me my job? Did I enjoy taking in a poor and destitute youngen, only to have him fall to the levels of the slime he was sleeping with and try to get me into legal trouble? Did I enjoy a good friend spreading rumors about me because she's so very insecure about herself? Did I enjoy my son suffering from a life-threatening disease? Did I enjoy my baby girl donning a hard plastic brace every day for a year? Did I enjoy being bashed and beaten for bringing to light a PTA member who was stealing from the kids? Did I enjoy losing a great niece at just four months old? Did I enjoy watching my mother take her last and final breath?

The answer to that and a myriad of other tragedies is a resounding "NO!" I enjoyed none of it . . . but I am better for ALL of it!

I am strong. I am a fighter. I stand firm. I am determined. I am focused. I am pliable. I am cautiously trusting. I am content with what I have. I love with every ounce of my being. I am protective. I am smart. I am not fearless, but will face whatever comes my way. I am happy.

I am me!

I choose to relegate those troubles to my past; to a learning curve that has made me a much better person than I might have been otherwise.

I am thankful for my hurdles!

No comments:

Post a Comment